Saturday, December 20, 2008

Why I love music...

Hi everyone!
I was asked by a fellow band mate to write on why I love music and what music means to me. So here goes…


My love affair with music started when I was a little bitty girl singing in the church choir. I was so nervous singing Silent Night in front of a silent attentive crowd. I remember catching myself as I scrunched the side of my dress up in my hand as I held the mic in the other. But even though I had nerves, I loved it. I wanted to do it again, and again, and again.

In high school I decided, much like Luke, to teach myself guitar. It took quite a bit of dedication to learn this foreign instrument. After crossing that beginner’s hurdle, songs started flowing out. Many were full of teen angst and heartbreak but as many artists would say, the best songs are written out of raw emotion. And teenage years are full of raw emotion!

I believe there’s magic in what music does. It tells stories in ways that words alone cannot. If created with sensitivity and thought, music allows you to enter into what the artist is trying to share, linking us together in a mysterious fashion.

My soul sings because that’s all it desires to do. As lungs fill with air without us thinking about it, so my soul sings. I hope that is what you hear when listening to Beckon Q… our heart, our thoughts, our souls when you listen to these songs.

Peace and love,


Becky

No comments: